Friday, March 18, 2011

Crammed Training Leads To Overtraining

I was sick for about 2 weeks. I still have a lingering cough. It could not have come at a worse time. I was racking up my distance due to training for the 5k this Saturday. Then I got sick.

I had one week to train for this 5k, and after not running for 13 days I was wondering how to approach this. Initially I was just going to run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Every other day should be ok right? Well I decided to keep going after Tuesday's run because I was disappointed in the lack of distance I covered. I ran again on Wednesday, and then again yesterday. I was happy knowning that I was increasing distance with each run.

Sunday - 1.2 miles outside run (bleh)
Tuesday - 1.8 miles, 2.5 incline treadmill run
Wednesday - 2.2 miles, no incline treadmill run which seemed to help
Thursday - 2.5 miles, no incline treadmill run

I covered 7.7 miles total this week.
I covered 6.5 miles in 3 days back to back!

I usually only cover 6 miles per week, so I definitely pushed myself. By the time I got to work yesterday, I really felt it. I was SO tired. I even had a headache for a good portion of the day. It got so bad that I finally took something for it, and I never take anything.

I decided not to run this morning. I need to let my body rest. It was definitely trying to tell me something yesterday. And I got a blister on each foot due to running on the treadmill. I tried to avoid it by around in different spots, but there's only so much space to run on. I went to bed early last night and slept in this morning. I am still a bit tired and wished I could have slept in more. I'll head to bed early again tonight so I am rested for tomorrow's 5k.

Have you crammed for a race like I did?
How did that work out for you?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...