Friday, May 31, 2013

Joining the Army National Guard at 34




CRAZY! 
Completely out of your mind, Insane! 
Midlife crisis?!

Heck, I’d say “all of the above”.


Back in January of 2012, I found this awesome opportunity on craigslist. (I’m not the huge craigslist fiend I used to be, but I still visit it from time to time. Don’t judge me.) Wait, wait, wait……hold up. CUT! Let me back up here.


Take 2!
Ever since my late teens/early 20’s I have wanted to either join the military or get into law enforcement. The closest thing to that was working security jobs. My last security job was at the Sleep Train Pavilionwhich will always be called the Concord Pavilion to me. This was back in 1997. 

Going to school full time, working out 5 days a week, and working security at night; that was the life. My fellow security guard friend, Summer, got lucky one night and worked back stage security. Although, she wasn't really working because.... she was eating Digiorno pizza with Vince Gill (eek!), while I was securing a section in 200. This was an awesome chapter in my life. I met some awesome people and just enjoyed living.


Fast forward to January 2012 and the awesome ad I saw. I thought it would pass, but one thing in the ad kept probing at me. “Ages between 17 and 35”

Oh CRAP! There’s an age cut off…..duh! I’m 34 and if I don’t take advantage of this now, I may regret it. I quickly began my research. I was NOT in the best of shape. I was running and have done two 5k’s so far, but this was the military. The Army. I was getting overwhelmed with the info and wanted to give up researching about it. Spoke to my husband about it and he said that he would support any decision I made. Now it was just up to me.

I had a lot of weight to lose, and I needed to get in awesome physical shape to endure the torture they put you through. I decided to do it! I didn't have much time, so I had to be dedicated in meeting this goal.

I lost the weight by adapting to the Paleo diet and doing lots and lots and lots of running. I was in the zone.


On May 21, 2012...I went to the Sacramento MEPS and walked out with a ship date for BCT (basic combat training). I wanted to cry. I was tired, but drove home with a smile on my face and complete excitement. 

I DID IT! 
I'm in!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...