Monday, March 14, 2011

Being Sick Halts Training

A week and a half ago my hands were super cold at work. By the time I got home, I had the chills really bad. It was Wednesday night and I ended up staying home from work the next 2 days. I hate missing work because I don't have that much time off accumulated. By that Saturday I felt much better, but come Sunday I felt icky again. I dragged my butt into work on Monday and was coughing like crazy.

Come Thursday my stomach was in knots and I had no idea what I should be eating. I felt somewhat nauseated and tired. Needless to say, I slept at my desk during lunch. I wanted to sleep the rest of the day away, but I had to work. I still felt pretty bad Friday morning and I stayed home once again. I have now taken 3 days off of work, AND had not run in over a week. This cold/flu has really put a halt on my training.

I took it slow on Saturday. I was still coughing, but was starting to feel better. I woke up faily early on Sunday morning and decided I was well enough to go for a run. I kinda forced myself because I have a 5k to run the following weekend, and I really needed to get moving again. I stayed in my subdivision as it was supposed to rain sometime during the day. I thought for sure that I at least hit the 2 mile mark by the time I was done, because it sure felt like it. I coughed some and my nose was runny as well. By the time I stopped, I was sad to see that I only ran 1.19 miles. Are you serious???? It was quite a disappointment.

It is now Monday and I have 4 more days before my 5k on Saturday. I am going to run with a friend, but I told her that I was SO not ready. And mind you, she's been averaging 20 miles a week on trails! So it doesn't look like we'll be running together for long.

Ok, so I have 4 days left.
What's the plan?

Well it's supposed to be raining this week, so that means no running outside for me. I don't need to get sick again and I'd rather not injure myself by slipping on the slippery ground. So that means I need to hop on the treadmill tomorrow and Thursday.

For some reason I cannot run further than 1.2 miles on the treadmill. Although I stream a movie on youtube or Netflix, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I even cover up the time on the treadmill display with my iPhone so I have no idea how long I've been running. But all I can do now is just force myself to keep going. I think this is the only way I've have any chance of finishing the run on Saturday.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...